- Los Angeles Unified School District
Joint Statement from Superintendent Austin Beutner and AALA President Juan Flecha (11-13-20)
CONTACT: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE|
Shannon Haber, 213-393-1289 November 13, 2020
Joint Statement from Superintendent Austin Beutner
and AALA President Juan Flecha
LOS ANGELES (November 13, 2020) – Los Angeles Unified and Associated Administrators of Los Angeles (AALA) have reached an agreement on how to return students and staff to schools for in-person instruction as soon as possible, in the safest way possible. The hybrid model combines online and in-person instruction, with students remaining in small, stable cohorts while on campus to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“Principals, teachers, school staff and all who work in Los Angeles Unified are making heroic efforts to keep students connected with school and help them continue to learn. But for many students and their families, online learning pales in comparison to the education and support they receive at schools,” Superintendent Austin Beutner and AALA President Juan Flecha said. “We are preparing to serve students at schools as soon as it’s possible, in the safest way possible. Our plans include the highest standards for health, education and employee practices at schools. We are grateful for the tireless efforts of administrators who are leading the charge to ensure our schools are ready for students to return in a hybrid learning model.”
Summary of Agreement
- Ensuring that all students and staff are tested for COVID-19 prior to their return to campus.
- Overseeing safety practices at schools, such as the wearing of protective facial masks, social distancing and grouping students in small cohorts.
- Providing professional development for educators to provide effective instruction in both in-person and online settings.
- Communicating with students, staff and the school community on school safety standards.
- A stipend will be paid to administrators in recognition of the extraordinary effort involved in planning for and implementing this effort.
The Agreement is subject to the approval of the Board of Education.