- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Private School Office
Return to Headlines
III. Conduct assessments, determine eligibility, and develop an IEP that provides a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
- Determine if the student has a Welligent record by performing a global search in Welligent.
- If the student does not appear in the student search and the public school has verified its responsibilities to complete an IEP for this student, download and complete the request to add NON-LAUSD STUDENT RECORD REQUEST FORM and fax to Welligent support (as indicated on the form) to add student to Welligent.
- If the student does appear in Welligent (based on name, student ID, or known history) the public school can request access to an existing Welligent record by contacting the administrator of the Private School Office.
- Review and consider requests for special education evaluation in accordance with BUL-4140.1.
- Utilize school staff to complete the assessments and/or collect informal performance data (including observation in the current educational setting).
- Provide written notification to participate in the IEP meeting to parent, include the letter in REF 6846.0(Attachment B) to inform parent that our policy for serving students parentally-placed in a private school will also be discussed.
- Invite private school staff to participate in the IEP meeting as a person with direct knowledge about the student's performance in the private school curriculum (i.e. general education teacher).
- An IEP shall be developed to determine eligibility and to document FAPE, including a specific offer of placement in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE), for all resident students that meet the eligibility criteria and require special education services.
- Document the following accurate demographic information on page 1 of the IEP document.
- School of Attendance should be the Private School Office (location code 1536).
- The reason child does not attend school of residence should be "Private School Enrollment".
- The private school's name should be typed into the text field next to the enrollment status reason.
- Document parent decision in the IEP as follows:
- If parent(s) agree that FAPE has been offered and choose to place the student in a public school, the IEP team shall document in the IEP:
The parents agree that FAPE has been offered and will be implemented upon enrollment in a public school and choose to enroll their child in a public school.
- If parent(s) agree that FAPE has been offered, but choose to place the student in a private school, the IEP team shall document in the IEP:
The parents agree that FAPE has been offered and will be implemented upon enrollment in a public school, but decline the offer of FAPE and choose to place their child in a private school.
- If parent(s) disagree with the provision of special education services and/or offer of FAPE and choose to place their child in a private school, the IEP team shall:
- Document in the IEP that parent(s) disagree with special education services and choose to place their child in private school.
- Conclude the IEP meeting and immediately convene a Services Plan team meeting, even though FAPE is an issue. Forward the completed Services Plan to the Private School Office.
- Forward the IEP according to District's due process procedures.