Permits and Student Transfers
Due to the closure of all LAUSD schools, the processing of inter-district permits and the review of appeal applications will be delayed. We apologize for the inconvenience. Your patience is appreciated once we resume day to day operations. Please note that paperwork deadlines previously provided will be extended.
The outgoing inter-district permit application period runs from February 1st - April 30th. There is no closing date for incoming inter-district permits. Permits will be processed in the order received. For more information, please refer to http://studentpermits.lausd.net.
Updates will be posted to the website as they are available.
During this difficult time, may you and your family remain safe and healthy.The LAUSD Inter-District attendance policy was updated as a result of the great strides in improving educational options for students. The District has also made a considerable capital investment in building new schools and renovating hundreds of existing schools.
LAUSD educational options include but are not limited to:
• Small Learning Communities
• California Distinguished Schools
• Magnet Programs
• Affiliated Charter Schools
• Public School Choice Schools
• Open Enrollment Transfers
• Schools for Advanced Studies• Dual Language and Bilingual Programs• Zones of Choice
• Open Enrollment Romero (SB X5 4)-1,000 low achieving schools:Due to the transition to the new California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress system, the calculation of the 2015 Growth and Base and 2016 Growth APIs are suspended. With the absence of a 2016 API score, the California Department of Education (CDE) cannot produce an Open Enrollment list for the 2017–18 school year.For a complete listing, please refer to E-Choices at echoices.lausd.net.
*If you live within the boundaries of LAUSD and want to request a permit to attend another school within the boundaries of the LAUSD, you DO NOT need to fill out an online application. A permit application is available at all schools. It must be signed and approved both by the school of residence and the requested school. If your permit is denied by either school, an Intra-District Appeal can be filed with your local District Operations.
ONLINE INTER-DISTRICT PERMIT (From one SCHOOL DISTRICT TO Another SCHOOL DISTRICT)Permit Application Period is: February 1st - April 30th Annually
- All requests are processed in the order received.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- You will receive a response by email (or mail if no email is provided); check your junk or spam email folders.
- Safari is not compatible with our system. It is recommended that you switch your internet browser to Firefox, Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
- Appeals will only be accepted if postmarked within 14 calendar days of date on your denial letter.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Permit processing may be delayed during summer (June, July & August) due to limited staffing.
- TERMS: Terms and Conditions of applying for a permit.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who have a valid inter-district permit to attend a specific school may continue attendance in that same school without the need to re-apply annually to the district of residence or attendance. When the student matriculates, or there is a change of school placement, a new permit is required from the District of Residence. (AB-2444, http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=200920100AB2444)
INCOMING INTER-DISTRICT PERMITS:OUTGOING INTER-DISTRICT PERMITS:INTER-DISTRICT PERMIT APPEAL/APELACIONES DE PERMISOS INTER-DISTRITALES
About UsWhat's NewPrograms and Services